Monday, December 07, 2009

"Hurry HARD!!" in silence

It looks like any other curling match, but there is something different taking place here. The skip, in the red, is Croatia's Katarina Radonic. None of Katarina's team can hear! Nor can the alternate.

Coach Jamie Boutin, an expat Canadian living in Germany, encountered the four hearing impaired girls five years ago, as they were just embarking on their first curling experiences. They've become good enough now to compete at the European Championships, under Katarina's direction.

But just think about it for a moment. Those of you who play a bit, just imagine what it would be like if you are skipping and your team cannot hear you shouting, or easily understand your instructions. But these girls have made it work, and it was an education, and a thrill, for me to watch them yesterday.

The skip is already signalling as soon as the stone is out her hand.

This is third player Melani Lusic.

And lead Marijana Bozic

They take the game very seriously.

Here is second Maja Sertic communicating from the far end. What's she trying to tell the third and skip?

I'm getting the gist!

I wish I could understand!

I'm lost now.

I think I know this one!

Thumbs up indeed to the Croatian team, and to curling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.